Enforcement proceedings

Enforcement proceedings

Picture this — you have just won a legal battle against someone and a judgment for damages and costs has been made in your favour. However, even after the court has ordered that the debt be paid, the debtor has failed to pay. What can you do to force the debtor to pay the debt that they owe to you?

Google review profiles
more than 50 five-star reviews on Google
Home » Services » Enforcement proceedings
Gibbs Wright are registered members of Law Council of Australia
Ones To Watch - Firm Logo
Gibbs Wright are registered members of Queensland Law Society
exclusively litigation scales of law icon

Exclusively Litigation

What is an enforcement proceeding?

An enforcement proceeding is a legal proceeding that forces a debtor who has had a judgment made against them to disclose information about their financial situation in order to determine if, and how, the debtor may be able to repay the debt owed.

Where a plaintiff initiates enforcement proceedings, the debtor will be required to appear at an enforcement hearing where the will question them about their financial position in order to determine the best way to enforce athe judgment.

what our customers say


What our clients say

…turned our crazy situation into positive new beginnings… We would highly recommend their services to anyone who is in need of professional property lawyers who have your best interests at heart. Thank you Mitchell and Melany!

5 star rating

Rachel Olorenshaw

During the first phone call with Spencer I knew immediately that I was in competent hands. Spencer and his troops moved into position akin to military action… I would strongly recommend contacting Gibbs Wright Litigation Lawyers…

5 star rating

John Christian

personal dispute

QCAT Lawyers

Types of disputes heard by QCAT

Commencing enforcement proceedings

Under the Uniform Civil Procedure Rules 1999 (Qld) (the UCPR) a creditor has six years (from the date of judgment) to start enforcement proceedings.

Before applying to a court for an enforcement hearing, a creditor must send a statement of financial position (UCPR form 71) to the enforcement debtor, and the completed statement must be returned within 14 days. The statement requires the debtor to disclose all relevant information about their assets and liabilities.

After the creditor either receives a completed statement or a completed statement hasn’t been returned within 14 days, they can apply to a court for an enforcement hearing. The application must be accompanied by an affidavit that states the unpaid amount, and whether the creditor has received a completed statement of financial position or not (and whether they’re satisfied with the information in the completed statement).

The court will then issue an enforcement hearing summons to the debtor requiring them to attend the enforcement hearing and produce required financial documents.

Types of Estate and Wills Disputes We Can Help With

Types of Estate and Wills Disputes We Can Help With

Court orders

If the debtor refuses to make payment, the creditor may apply for an enforcement warrant. The type of warrant issued will depend on the debtor’s financial situation, and whether or not they own any assets.

The main types of enforcement warrants are:

  • Warrant for seizure and sale of property
  • Warrant for redirection of earnings
  • Warrant for redirection of a debt
  • Warrant for regular redirections from financial institutions
  • Order for payment by instalments

Warrant for seizure and sale of property

This warrant authorises an enforcement officer to attend private property and seize the debtor’s real and personal property, to be sold at public auction to satisfy the debt. The officer cannot seize basic household property (such as household furniture, a refrigerator or television), or property that the debtor needs to make a living (such as a vehicle or trade tools).

Warrant for redirection of earnings

This warrant (sometimes called a garnishee order) authorises a third party (usually an employer) to redirect part of the debtor’s earnings to the creditor until either all of the debt is paid, or the warrant is set aside or expires.

Warrant for redirection of a debt

This warrant authorises a creditor to recover the debt from a third party who holds money for the debtor.

Warrant for regular redirections from financial institutions

This warrant is served on a financial institution (as well as the debtor). If someone regularly makes payments to the debtor (such as their employer), the financial institution can be ordered to automatically take money from that account and pay it to the creditor until all of the debt is paid (or the warrant is set aside, varied, or expires).

Order for payment by instalments

Similar to an enforcement warrant, this order requires a debt to be repaid in regular instalments, such as in weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments, until the debt is paid (or the court orders otherwise). A debtor or creditor can apply for such an order, and no further action can be taken to enforce payment while the order is in place.

brisbane litigation lawyer yusuf
message for the director

Why us

Why choose Gibbs Wright Litigation Lawyers

Whether you require legal representation to protect your rights in an enforcement proceeding against you, or you want someone to vigorously fight for you in order to ensure that a judgment is enforced, Gibbs Wright Litigation Lawyers have the skills and experience required to get the job done — and done well.

Contact Gibbs Wright today for a free, initial consultation with one of our experienced litigation lawyers to explore your legal options.

  • Commercially viable outcomes
  • Dedicated litigation firm
  • Outstanding client satisfaction
  • High success rate
  • Direct contact with your lawyer
  • Brisbane-based litigation team
what our customers say icon


Frequently Asked Questions

schedule Booking

Book your consultation


Confidential Discussion

Explore your legal options

New bookings are complimentary for a limited time and are subject to approval.

  • Confidential discussion with a litigation lawyer
  • Limited review of relevant materials
  • Meet via Zoom or by phone

*Complimentary consultations are reserved for disputes over $250,000 and are subject to approval.